A CALL FOR PAPERS – Nigeria 2015 to 2019
CALL FOR PAPERS: Nigeria 2015 to 2019 – What Should a Progressive Government Implement? At the presidential elections of 2015, Nigeria elected a progressive government for the first time since 1993 following the annulment of the Moshood Abiola (Social Democratic Party) victory. Following one of the most trying times for Nigeria and one of the most unpredictable elections in the history of Nigeria, a democratic handover is set to take place for the first time. It will be a monumental task to set down clear priorities to begin the process of restoring pride and place of Nigeria and setting a new direction for progressive change in the country.
Numerous challenges face the nation, from security concerns, to corruption, inequality and abject poverty. We need to begin to identify not just immediate changes that can be achieved but more importantly, the long term path of progressive reforms. We want to collate views of some of our key thinkers to bring together the priorities for achieving real progressive change across a range of policy areas. We are seeking papers on the topic of Nigeria 2015 to 2019 – What should a progressive Government implement?
Essay should be no more than 1500 words and should explore ONE of the topics below.
- A PLAN FOR THE ECONOMY
- PROTECTING PUBLIC SERVICES – INFRASTRUCTURE, HEALTH AND EDUCATION.
- ERADICATING POVERTY
- TACKLING MARGINALISATION AND REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- SECURITY, RULE OF LAW, RESPECT FOR HUMAN RIGHTS
- RESTORING THE JUDICIARY AND ACCESS TO JUSTICE
- INVESTING IN A FUTURE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE – EDUCATION AND TACKLING YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT
- RESTORING POWER TO THE PEOPLE – ELECTORAL REFORM
- NATIONAL POLITICAL SETTLEMENT – REFORMING POLITICS AND REPRESENTATION FOLLOWING THE NATIONAL CONFERENCE
- DIVERSIFICATION – RENEWING THE AGRICULTURAL AND SOLID MINERAL SECTORS
- REBALANCING THE COST OF GOVERNANCE
- INDUSTRIALISATION – STIMULATING INVESTMENT IN INDUSTRY AND MANUFACTURING AND THE DEVELOPMENT OF SMES (SMALL TO MEDIUM SIZED ENTERPRISES)
- GREEN NIGERIA – TACKLING ENVIRONMENTAL DEGRADATION IN THE NIGER DELTA AND THE IMPACTS OF CLIMATE CHANGE
- ENERGY – BUILDING A SUSTAINABLE POWER SOLUTION FOR DEVELOPMENT
- CORRUPTION – RESTORING TRANSPARENCY, RESPONSIBILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY
We will compile the papers into a publication, which will be launched on 29th May 2015 to coincide with the inauguration day. All essays must be submitted on or before 22nd May 2015 by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Authors should provide a short personal profile and include a PHOTOGRAPH.
Only one article will be selected for each topic. Review and selection will be carried out by, Inno Koko, Nero Ughwujabo and Stephen Dieseruvwe.